The Homelessness Reduction Act - one year on
Please note this event has expired. To view our current calendar of events and training courses please click here.
About the event:
Hailed by campaigners as a landmark piece of legislation that will transform the way local authorities approach homeless applications, the Homelessness Reduction Act (HRA) aims to ensure no-one is turned away when they ask their council for help. But one year on, have things started to improve and are we finally on the road to long-term homelessness prevention?
This major one-day conference, in association with Homeless Link, will look at the day-to-day reality of implementing the Act, the barriers to success and the challenges that remain. And it will attempt to answer the question, what has actually changed? You will hear from the Government, leading homelessness charities and local authorities working to implement the Act on a daily basis.
There is no doubt the Government is focused on reducing homelessness, rough sleeping, and the numbers of households in temporary accommodation. But does the Act do enough to tackle the root causes and is the social housing sector itself doing enough to prevent homelessness through a sustainable co-ordinated response? With the new Act now in force for nearly a year, this conference will look at the national policy agenda, update on current homelessness issues and trends and hear about solutions which can be implemented across the country.
- Matt Harrison, Director of Business and Enterprise for Homeless Link
- Jo Beck, Homelessness Advice and Support Team Manager, Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
- Chris Hancock, Head of Policy, Crisis
- Sarah-Jane Gay, External Affairs Manager, London and South East, National Housing Federation
- Nick Porter, Senior Advisor – Housing, Local Government Association
- Elly Shepherd, Head of Housing and Planning Policy, London Councils
- Helen Brown, Cambridgeshire Homelessness Trailblazer Project
- Darren Alexander, Head of Housing Needs, Customer and Commercial, Luton Borough Council
Who is this event for:
All professionals involved in preventing homelessness, including front line triage, homeless prevention staff, housing options officers and service managers. Those responsible for homelessness reviews and strategies. Housing association and voluntary sector employees with an active or future role in homelessness prevention.
Homeless Link members are eligable to attend at the discounted rate of £190+vat. Please use discount code #hqnhomeless when booking.
Share this page
Talk To Us
Conference and events manager
Alex manages Homeless Link's conference and events programme.
020 7840 4493
28 Mar 2019 - 12:27pm
19 Feb 2019 - 12:13pm
13 Feb 2019 - 11:27am